11.17.2009

Transportation

I've moved three times this year. On New Year's, I had a fight with my dad over him being an alcoholic. I moved out, into my mom's house. My mom is nice for the most part, but she's a bit emotionally unbalanced. So, three months later, I moved in with a roommate I found on Craigslist. Six months after that, the management at that place raised the rent and I moved into my own place a month ago. So, here I am, broke, but finally alone.

Anyway, since moving into the new place, I've noticed that the bus downtown stops right on my block. To save money and the hassle of parking, I decided to hop the bus to and from the office. After all, money for a bus pass has been coming out of my paycheck for years.

While waiting for the bus this morning, I marveled at how strange the whole bus situation is. I don't mean the inconsistent schedules or the riff raff on board, I mean the concept of a bus itself. You go outside and stand by a sign. Then, a very large box on wheels stops, you get inside, and the box moves around. For some reason, it made me think of the cat bus in Tonari No Totoro (a.k.a. My Neighbor Totoro). I wish I could ride that to work instead.

No comments: