1.30.2007

Can't Get Enough of Hell

How do you define addiction? Is it a physical dependence on narcotics? Is it detrimental habitual behavior? Or, is addiction the inability to stop yourself from doing anything in excess to the point that it becomes bad for you, drugs or exercise or sky diving or World of Warcraft?

One of my favorite quotes (and I don't know who said it) is "We are the sum of our vices." Another one of my favorite quotes is, "Some people treat their bodies like a temple. I treat mine like an amusement park." However, that last one is a little beside the point.

I have been addicted to several substances in my lifetime. Most of them were short-lived, thankfully. Nicotine has been the hardest to kick. Seriously, I've done Cocaine and Heroin, and they don't hold a freakin' candle to nicotine. They will deteriorate your body and your mind much faster, but I kicked them both in the ass without going into a program. There's the likelihood that I'm a bit of an alcoholic as well. Maybe I'm in denial, but I don't see a problem with it. I just need to watch it. If it starts interfering with my job, then I need to stop.

Something I never thought I'd be addicted to is shopping. Not clothes shopping and not shopping like those crazy Black Friday people. I just can't quit spending money. It's really having a bad effect on my life and I need to get it under control. But, I don't know how to stop. I hate it! There's got to be some type of support group or advisor or something that can help me out. So, this is my cry for help, people.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rochelle said...

I'm sure if you look around online you can find a group for the spending thing! It's such a hard thing to get under control! We're having issues with it, currently. But, don't you think it's weird that they have rehab for drinking and drug addictions, but nothing for nicotine?? Jason says it's because you can still function just fine as a user, but I still don't think it makes sense.