10.12.2007

Hell is 451 Degrees

I love books. I just went and spent $50 that I don't have at Barnes & Noble. I can't help it; it's like an addiction. Maybe if it took longer than 10 minutes to walk to a bookstore, I could restrain myself. However, there are 3 bookstores I can walk to on my lunch hour. My mother tells me, "I'm going to pay off your fine at the library, so you can quit spending all your money at B&N." I tell her that I don't want to borrow books, I want to own them - I want my own library. To begin with, library books have been handled by who knows how many who-knows-whos. Ick! I don't know where those books have been! Secondly, the kind of books I buy are almost always off the wall reference books (The Encyclopedia of Guilty Pleasures) or neat-o craft how-to books (Heart Felt). So, it isn't like I'll give the book a once over and be done with it. They're the kinds of lovely volumes that can be reached for again and again and may produce useful crafts (if I ever get around to it). So, throw the library idea out the window.

Here's what I walked away with today:

The Crafter's Companion: tips, tales and patterns from a community of creative minds

Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith

Craft Inc.: Turn your creative hobby into a business by Meg Mateo Ilasco

I just want to hole up somewhere and create things. I spend too much time at the BF's house, not doing much but getting drunk and watching movies. I want to breathe new life, dammit!!

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

Maybe you and the BF could develop some creative hobbies together. Instead of watching a movie, whip out a canvas and do side by side painting. That way you get BF time AND creative time! Win win!

phx said...

let me know what you think of Wreck this Journal. I was thinking about buying that one.

I want my own library, too. I need more bookshelves... and I need time to read, or at least peruse what I buy. neat-o craft books sound interesting...

Neko Noir said...

rochelle - the bf isn't really crafty at all. In fact, I haven't seen much in the way of creativity come out of him yet. (sad)

phoenix - Wreck This Journal is totally fantastic! I so recommend it. It helps get the creative juices flowing by encouraging destruction, if that makes sense.

Rochelle said...

Just because he doesn't proactively do creative things (that's my side of the relationship with J.) doesn't mean he might not mind trying them out with your encouragement and guidance!! J is constantly trying to get me to do creative things, that's why he likes my scrapbooking. It's hard to be creative being married to him. I feel like a giant retard.

phx said...

i found you a library... well, at least some shelves. :) http://www.papervision3d.org/demos/panorama/

i'll have to pick up that journal! i've been wanting to buy one for a while now.