8.24.2006

The Circles of Hell

I must be depressed. Either that, or it's the lack of beer, lack of cigarettes, lack of sex, lack of money and lack of suitable living quarters that's driven me mad. Regardless, I started to paint again. And for the sake of misery loves company, I'm going to post pictures of my progress here. (It's not too late to visit The Book of Shenry).



This time, instead of sketching my design on paper beforehand, I just drew right on the canvas.



Now, I've added the first layer of color, which is the creamy hue of unsalted butter. It dawned on me that the lightest colors should be painted first. It's much easier to cover a lighter color with a darker color than it is to do the opposite.



Here's the next color. Keep in mind that when I paint, I only use the 3 primary colors and black and white to mix my colors from.



And so on...



Starting to see a theme? I've been trying to balance each color evenly throughout the canvas. The problem is, I think I might run out of colors in this spectrum before I finish filling in the design.

There's another picture, but I can't get flippin Blogger to load it up. Ah well, I'll try in another post.

2 comments:

shenry said...

Ah, hey, I was thinking about doing some oil on canvass painting with Elsie. Maybe you can give me some tips some day.

And don't worry. You'll get paid your dividends in less than a week.

Neko Noir said...

Oil is not, alas, my forte. I was never instructed in the medium, and I find it's such a terrible mess. You must have turpenine to dissolve the oils, whereas acrylic dissolves in water (at least til it's dried). However, the colors with oil retain so much more of thier brightness, and that is what the masters used.