5.20.2005

Let's Meet for a Date in Hell

Tonight, I have a date. It's the first time I've gone on a date since I was granted my divorce. Actually, it's the first time since waaay before I was even married. Considering the number of guys I've "been with", I've had surprisingly few of what you would call "dates". Tonight, it's the guy from the bar. Not the bartender, but the guy I was dancing with. Bartender never called me, but I didn't really expect him to. This guy didn't call me either. I managed to track him down. Sheesh! Does a girl have to do all the work these days? There used to be a day when a man would hold the door for a woman. Now it's "why don't you be on top?"

So I called this guy the other night and had to leave a message. I sounded like some giggly, high-school dorky girl. When I got home from work yesterday, there was a message on the machine. He sounded kinda giddy and excited and I think that's what got me. I called back and reached him, apparently getting stoned and watching Star Wars with his friend. We're going to meet at the Olive Garden, primarily because it's one of the few easy to find restaurants in town with vegitarian options. I tried to go to Applebee's once - not a single damn thing on the menu without meat!! Fuck you Applebee's!! I even offered to go to Taco Bell. Where in hell are my standards?

After dinner, we're going to meet my step-sister and her friends at a bar downtown. Then, I'm going to get laid. "So confident?" you say? Trust me, it won't be much of a challenge. In fact, if I don't end up getting laid tonight - the next round is on me.

At first, I was really excited. Now, I'm kind of dreading the situation. Why did I decide to call this guy and go out on a date? Wouldn't I rather just go home and relax, do the cleaning I've been putting off, rest up for yoga class tomorrow? After all, I don't know if I really like the guy all that much. After surfing MCR websites all day, I don't really want to be within 10 feet of anyone who doesn't look like Gerard Way. Seriously contemplating only dating men with the name "Gerard" or remaining celebate until I get to meet the man himself.

But then again, doesn't this guy deserve a chance? I mean, he was recommended by the guy I've been crushing on for years. Does that even make sense? I guess what I'm doing is testing. I'm testing to see if I've "still got it", testing to see if I'm ready to date again, testing this guy out. So, I'm not going to bail. I'm going to go through with it. Here's the plan - get really wasted and...no...wait...that's the usual plan...

1 comment:

shenry said...

You're crackin' me up. You need a pseudonym for this dude because I refused to type "graduate-boy's stoner friend" more than once. I look forward to the post-date post (har, har... pun!) and a decent nickname. Oh, and since I'm asking for decent nicknames... what about "graduate-boy"? Is that it for him?