6.18.2006

Neko's Decent Into Hell (part 2)

Since Spike's phone won't let me talk to him anymore tonight, I'm left to wander aroud cyberspace on my own. I guess now is a good a time as any to finish up the second half of the track listing for Neko's Untimely Demise. I've already distributed the copies, so anyone who's got one won't be spoiled by this post.

Neko's Untimely Demise
Part 2: in case of suicide, natural disaster, suicide...

Cosmos from Cowboy Beebop soundtrack

Here's one track I can bet nobody else has on their mix. This one is a short, saxy interlude to annouce the change of mood. I also think it's beautiful and appropriatly tear-jerking.

Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

I had to borrow this CD from my father's collection, as I'm sure my copy was pawned years ago. If you've never seen the music video for this song, it portrays Petty as a pervy mortician who dances with the corpse of Mary Jane. While I'm sure the title lends itself to many interpretations, the video was what I had in mind when I picked this track for my funeral. I just think it's touching to think that someone out there would hold out enough lingering desire to entice one last embrace of my lifeless body.

Ask For Answers by Placebo

Two of the CDs I dug out of my archives were Placebo albums I confiscated from my relationship with Mark (alcholic domestic abuse guy). During the latter portion of our cohabitation, I found myself constantly occupied with thoughts of suicide. So, most of the music I remember from that period reminds me of razor blades and contemplation. Ask for Answers is something I could see myself listening to in a bloody bathtub.

Hear My Train... by Jimi Hendrix

I don't think this is the official title of the track, but that's how the chorus begins. When I hear this one, I think of being on death row, prepped for execution. Or, I think of being a heroine about to face a battle I know I won't walk away from.
C'mon folks, Hendrix is rich with this stuff.

I Know by Placebo

Another depressing melody by Placebo. Don't think I feel like explaining this one.

Farewell Ride by Beck

Neko's rules of mixed cds: each CD must contain one or more tracks by the following bands ~ My Chemical Romance, Beck, Bjork or Radiohead. This is the Beck contribution. It has much of the same sentiment as the Hendrix song above. It almost smacks of some Johnny Cash as well.

Everyting is Sorrow by The Boo Radleys

I'd forgotten how much I love this song. The melody (or whatever) alone makes me want to cry. I think that it was originally meant as a deterrent to suicide, but it has the opposite effect on me.

The End.
I'd had the passing thought of leaving the entire CD up to the listner's interpretation. What happened to that idea? Hopefully, each person will have their own reaction to my mix. I guess I was trying to justify my selections. In the modern age of iPods and downloads, I must be one of the only people who still prefer to purchase the actual CD. Generally, the CD rewards include liner notes, credits, etc. I've noticed, though, that now bands don't really bother to put much together for the CD release. The new NIN CD just has a pic of Trent inside.

No comments: