6.30.2006

Children In Hell Want Ice Water

I was feeling crappy this morning, but now I'm feeling "up". It's usually when I feel encouraged about life that I think about making changes. That may sound backward, but when I'm down, I don't really give a sh^t about anything. So, lest I forget, I'm going to post my new health agenda. To arrive at this list, I made a short list of my current health habits and tried to come up with attainable solutions. As optimistic as I may be this afternoon, if I make my goals sky-high then nothing will get done. Without further ado...

Problem #1: I smoke too much.
Action to Take: I have been trying to quit smoking for the past 2 years or so. You might say, "Neko, you haven't been trying very hard." But, if you're not a smoker, you cannot possibly imagine the kung-fu grip that nicotine has. Since I haven't found anything that works for me, the logical answer is to keep trying different methods. The new plan that I came up with is to try to cut down gradually by defining specific restrictions and adhering to them. The first restriction is to only smoke 1/2 cigs at a time. I only usually need half a stick to satisfy my fix anyway. The second restriction is to only smoke outside or when I'm on the computer. Spike can help me with this by forcing me to smoke only on his balcony. Now that the weather is nice, I shouldn't have any gripes about going outdoors.

Problem #2: I drink too much.
Action to Take: From now on, I'll restrict myself to only drinking past 5:00pm. I'll further restrict myself to a maximum of 2 drinks a day. Yes, I do drink a whole hell of alot. To limit my intake even more, I won't drink with Spike (he doesn't drink anyway) unless we are at a bar.

Problem #3: Coffee makes my nerves insane.
Action to Take: At least until I get a job, I won't drink any coffee at all. Instead, I'll replace it with tea, water or chai. Many of my friends like to frequent the coffee shops, but if they offer chai, I can drink with them and still be able to sleep at night. I don't believe in decaf either!!

Problem #4: I need more excercise.
Action to Take: This is also a two step process. I saw a commercial some time ago that advertised a drug to cure "restless leg syndrome". When I saw it, I thought, "holy crap, I think I have that" and it's been praying on me ever since. But, instead of popping even more pills, I'm going to pull out my yoga books and try to practice some leg excercises before I go to bed. That should help me relax, ease my muscles, and get me off to sleep faster. The next stage is to pull my little bmxer down from the garage and see what needs to be done to put it back in working order. Offhand I'd say that all it needs is a tire and some brake work. When I'm able to get it back together, I'll try riding that around the neighborhood in the evenings.

Well, that's it. Hopefully, I can keep these things in mind and I'll be on the road to a healthier lifestyle.

2 comments:

shenry said...

I like the way you wrote this; it's very action-oriented. You should also promise to post an update in 4-weeks, where you go through each of the 4 problems and truthfully assess your progress. If you're slacking on one of your goals then reviewing why you failed can help you formulate a new plan for success. Furthermore, having to publicly proclaim success or failure is added incentive to stick to your goals.

Neko Noir said...

Good advice. I was actually inspired by your fitness logs, but I don't have the skillz to make a whole seperate page out of it.