9.26.2006

Hell's Final Letter for the Day

One more for today folks, then it's homeward bound and rest for Neko.

Dear Peaberry,

I frequently visit one of your downtown Denver locations during my morning breaks from work. I do enjoy your beverages and the shop's location is very convenient. However, I couldn't help but notice that one cup of coffee yeilds a paper cup, a plastic lid and a cardboard sleeve that get thrown away. With the number of customers that your store brings in each morning, all those waste items add up quickly. So, I had an idea that might help to save at least the cardboard sleeves from ending up in the trash can.

You may be familiar with Yoplait's campaign to help fight breast cancer by having consumers return the used lids from their yogurt containers. It seems that a similar strategy could be used by Peaberry to help benefit local environmental concerns. What if, for each sleeve returned to Peaberry, your company donated funds to causes such as the Colorado chapter of The Nature Conservancy or the University of Colorado's "Generation Green" efforts? The benefits for Colorado's environment would be wonderful, coffee drinkers could feel good about choosing Peaberry's, and your company may see some well-deserved positive public light.

Please consider my idea or something similar that gives something back to our environment. Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,


I found out from their website that Peaberry Coffee is actually a local corp. Go figure!

2 comments:

shenry said...

Little Ms. Proactive you are. I like the idea and I like spirit with which you are attacking this idea.

Have you thought about investing in a stylish travel mug? You could bring your travel mug (I like the pricy stainless steel ones) into Peaberry and have them fill it up, thus saving 5 paper cups, 5 plastic lids, and 5 coffee condoms per work week.

Neko Noir said...

Shenry, your idea had not escaped me. However, next time you visit the coffee shop, keep a close eye on the barista. Don't they make your beverage first in a paper cup, and then pour it into your travel mug? If so, then a cup is still being tossed out every time.

Oh, and do you know any small-time coffee joints I could approach with my idea?